Singapore Election 2011

Latest news and updates about Singapore's 14th GE

PM Lee: We ‘understand’ your hopes and anxieties

Posted by singaporege2011 on April 30, 2011

With the next election looming ahead, PAP leaders are making all sorts of ’empty’ promises to Singaporeans in a last-ditched attempt to secure their votes, the latest being the caretake Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong.

Speaking at a PAP rally last night which was attended by a small crowd, PM Lee said the PAP is ‘aware’ of the dreams and worries of Singaporeans.

In his first rally speech of the general election, he sought to assure these voters that the People’s Action Party (PAP) is aware of their dreams and worries.

‘Like other groups, the middle-income Singaporeans want to improve their lives and they worry about housing, but they also worry about other things,. They feel pressured because of their children’s education. They worry about their careers. They worry about competition because of the Employment Pass holders, foreigners here working. They’re worried about taking care of their aged parents, the burden of looking after old folks at home,’ he quipped, trying to sound empathetic.

He added:

‘We understand these hopes and these anxieties.’

The uncertain future faced by Singaporeans is caused largely by the PAP’s flawed economic and immigration policies which has changed Singapore’s demographics beyond recognition.

Due to the relentless influx of foreigners, they now make up 43 percent of Singapore’s population. Of the remaining 57 percent who are citizens, an increasing number are born overseas. Under PAP rule, the median income of Singaporeans has remained stagnant at $2,500 monthly and they have lower domestic purchasing power than the Malaysians.

PM Lee also proclaimed that the PAP regime is “managing” the inflow of foreign workers, ‘making sure that we do not have too many which will overwhelm us’ which appears to contradict what his father has said earlier.

One week ago, PAP de facto leader Lee Kuan Yew said:

“Please remember: We still need 900,000 foreign workers on work permits.”

The figure does not include foreigners on S and E passes and neither did Lee explain how he arrive at it.

With the two opposition MPs contesting in GRCs, Singapore may end up with no elected opposition MPs in parliament for the first time since 1981.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

 
%d bloggers like this: