Singapore Election 2011

Latest news and updates about Singapore's 14th GE

DPM Teo: PAP has good ‘track record’ unlike opposition

Posted by singaporege2011 on April 20, 2011

Facing increasing public criticisms on its short and disappointing election ‘manifesto’ in contrast to the Workers Party’s, Deputy Prime Minister Teo Chee Hean now casts doubts on whether the opposition is able to deliver on the promises outlined in their manifestos.

Responding to criticisms that the PAP manifesto lacks in substance, DPM Teo said with a laugh:

“You mean compared to the opposition’s? Which manifesto have you been reading? They put down a long laundry list of things, which they imagine can be done. But the reality is not the same. And even if you put down the same item, the PAP has shown it can deliver (on) implementation, execution. They put down the same item, the question is, can the other guy deliver?”

He added the PAP manifesto is “welcomed” because it deals with practical issues that Singaporeans are concerned with in everyday life though the majority of netizens have ridiculed it as a ‘project’ by kindergarten’s kids.

Not sounding even a little bit embarrassed, DPM Teo heaped the usual delusional generous self-praise on the PAP’s ‘track record’:

“We have actually delivered on our promises over several decades; we think carefully before we put something down because we know we have to deliver on it.”

Past achievements do not guarantee future success. Furthermore, the PAP”s performance in the last five years has been most disappointing.

Let us examine the PAP’s ‘track record’ since 2006:

1. Relentless influx of foreigners: Singapore is swarmed by foreigners who now form 40 percent of Singapore’s population. Of the remaining 60 percent who are citizens, an increasing number are born overseas. Singapore PRs and citizenships are given indiscriminately to undeserving foreign ‘talents’ such as construction workers, hawkers, cleaners, clerks, masseurs and prostitutes.

2. Rampant inflation: Annual inflation of 5 percent compounded by increase in GST to seven percent makes life increasingly harder for ordinary Singaporeans, including the middle-income group.

3. Stagnant wages: After ten years of PAP rule, the median income of an average Singapore worker remains at $2,500 monthly, the lowest among First World countries. Fresh graduates have to accept ridiculously low wages due to intense competition from ‘cheaper’ foreign workers.

4. Low domestic purchasing power: Singaporeans have the lowest domestic purchasing power among developed economies, comparable to that of the Russians. Even Malaysians have higher domestic purchasing power than us.

5. Widening income gap: Singapore has the world’s highest income gap between the rich and the poor among the thirty most developed economies after Hong Kong.

6. Sky-rocketing HDB flat prices: Prices of HDB flats nearly doubled, pricing many Singaporeans, especially young couples out of the housing market, thereby forcing them to delay plans to start a families of their own.

Singaporeans should scrutinize the PAP’s ‘track record’ carefully and decide for themselves if they trust the PAP to deliver what it promises in its manifesto.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

 
%d bloggers like this: